Active calls are managed through the Call Control buttons at the top of the application.
- Placing call
- Click the Dial button to bring up the Make-a-Call dialogue box. Enter the number on the PC keyboard and click the green tick to make the call. Your desktop phone will go to hands-free mode and the call will be placed.
- End a call
- Click the Release icon. If there is more than one call in progress, first click the call in the Active Call window, then click Release. Replacing the telephone handset will also end the call.
- Right click the Dial icon to see a list of the last 5 dialed numbers. Left click a number to redial.
- Answering a call
- When Unity displays an inbound call, click the Answer icon, or double click the call in the Active Call Window, to connect the call. Your desk telephone will now be on hands-free speakerphone.
If there is an active call in progress, you will need to click the new inbound call in the Active Call Window before clicking Answer. This will automatically place the first caller on Hold
Answering a call by lifting the handset on the desk phone will have the same effect as clicking Answer.
- Send to voicemail
- To send an inbound caller directly to your voicemail, click Send to Voicemail.
Note: If Voicemail is not assigned or is disabled, the button becomes disabled.
Note: This only affects calls that are sent directly to the user. If the call is coming in via a Hunt Group, the call
- Transferring a call
- There are two ways to transfer a call;
- Consulted/Announced Transfer – where you introduce the call to the receiving party before putting the call through.
- Blind Transfer – where you transfer the caller directly to a recipient without introducing the call.
- While on an active call, make a new call to the desired destination extension,
This will automatically place the first caller on Hold and will initiate a new call in the Active Call Window. Once the called party answers, click Transfer, you will see 3 options:
- Click Dial
- Double click an Available colleague in User Status
- Double click a Group Directory or Personal Directory entry.
Make a selection to connect the call. Both calls will now disappear from the Active Call Window.
If you have multiple active calls, make sure you first select the call you wish to transfer by clicking on it in the active call window.
- Transfer Call 1 to a number – This will perform a blind transfer of this call to the number provided
- Transfer Call 2 to a number - This will perform a blind transfer of this call to the number provided
- Transfer Call 1 and Call 2 – This will connect the two calls together and hang up your phone.
- User Status or Directory
- While on an active call right click the recipient in either User Status or Directory and select either Transfer Call To Extension or Transfer call To Mobile.
- This will send the caller directly to the destination number. The original call will now disappear from the Active Call Window
Note: If the user does not have a mobile number entered as part of their user profile the Transfer to Mobile options is not displayed.
- To Blind Transfer the call to a new number, select the call from the Active Call Window and click Transfer.
Transfer to voicemail
- This will pop a Transfer Call dialogue box. Enter the destination number and click the green tick or press Enter. The call will be transferred and will disappear from your Active Call Window.
- While on an active call, right click in User Status and select Transfer to Voicemail.
- This will send the inbound caller direct to the destination extension voicemail without introducing ringing.
Note: Transfer to Voicemail is only available for users that have VoiceMail and have it activated.
- To place a current active call on Hold, press the Hold icon. The call status will now show as On Hold in the Active Call Window and there will be an On Hold icon alongside the call.
- Click the held call in the Active Call Window to select it. Click the Retrieve button to take the call off hold.
- You can initiate Three-Way Conference Call from the Unity Client. While on an active call, make a new call to the desired destination extension,
This will automatically place the first caller on Hold and will initiate a new call in the Active Call Window.
Once the third party has answered click the Conference button and all three parties are active on the conference call.
- Click Dial
- Double click an Available colleague in User Status.
- Double click a Group Directory or Personal Directory entry.
Clicking either call will select the conference as a whole, which can then be placed on Hold or disconnected in the same manner as any other call.
Click Release to end the call as you would any other. Both other parties will be disconnected.
Active call window
- The other parties on the conference call are displayed in the Active Call Window with Status as “Active (Conference)”.
- The Active Call Window gives visual representation of the status of all current calls. This includes
- The caller [From] – This is matched to the Group or Personal Directory, and the caller name rather than number will be displayed.
- Number called [To] - Will display the user name, destination extension or Hunt group that has been called to enable the call to be answered appropriately.
- Status (hold/active/ringing).
Managing multiple calls
- When a call has been made to a colleague that has forwarded the call, the "To" column to show the name/number that the call was redirected to.
Managing conference calls
- To manage a particular call, first select it by clicking it in the Active Call window.
- Once the call is highlighted you can place it on hold/retrieve, transfer the call or talk to the caller. All calls that are currently on held will display On hold in Status and the On hold icon will display at the far left of the call.
Resizing the active call window
- Once a conference call has been established, both other parties are shown as separate calls in the Active Call window.
- The call status for both will be “Active (Conferencing)”. Clicking either call will select the conference as a whole, which can then be placed on Hold or disconnected in the same manner as any other call.
- The bottom border of the Active Call Window can be dragged to display as many or as few active calls as necessary. Unity will save these dimensions when closed.
Click to dial
Within Unity, you can configure click-to-dial functionality between a web browser and Unity. This feature allows users to click to any callto: or tel: hyperlink from within a browser to dial that number through Unity. If Unity is not currently running, it will be started.
Note: Unity does not create these hyperlinks automatically for all numbers; this is typically the job of a browser add-in.
- How it works
- Unity will prompt the user to make Unity the default application for callto: and tel: links when it starts.
Microsoft Internet Explorer:
- If the user selects Yes, the click-to-dial application will be instructed to configure the operating system to make Unity the default application for callto: and tel: hyperlinks. There is no other configuration required by the user, and no restarts are required.
- When you first click on a callto: or tel: hyperlink from within a browser, you may be prompted to confirm your action, as below:
User Status gives a visual indication of the Busy/Available status of up to 30 colleagues. By default Unity is populated with users in your Department.
The user’s telephone is logged on, and they are free to receive a call.
The user’s telephone is ringing
The user is currently engaged on the telephone
The user has set their Status to Do Not Disturb, Busy or Unavailable.
- Change view
- Right click in User Status and select change View to toggle between Icon and List views. The List view displays Tool Tip information on the status of active calls for your monitored users.
- Tool tips
- When in Icon View, left clicking and hovering over a user icon will give detailed information about their current status.
- For example, hovering over an engaged colleague will indicate who they are talking to and the current duration of the call.
- The same action for Unavailable users will indicate their current Status ie Do Not Disturb, Busy or Unavailable.
Unity is populated with 30 colleagues in the user Department.
- However, you can change this to show the user’s you wish to see.
- Right click on any user
- Click Manage User List
- To add
- Click a user on the left, click right arrow
- To remove
- Click a user on the right, click left arrow
- Click Green Check when completed
Unity provides companywide Instant Messaging to colleagues from within User Status and the Group Directory.
- To receive a message, the recipient must have Unity open. They will be shown as in User Status.
Note: Engaged users can still receive an instant message.
- Sending an instant message
- Right click the user icon/name and select Instant Message.
- Clicking Instant Message will open the Instant Message Dialogue Box
Note: If the recipient does not have Unity open then the Instant Message option will not be displayed.
- Instant message dialogue box
- Enter text in the bottom dialogue window and press Enter.
- Clicking the red "X" will end the conversation and close the Dialogue Box. When a user closes the Unity application the Dialogue Box will show that they are offline.
Note: Message participants changing their Profile to Unavailable, Busy or activating Do Not Disturb will not make them appear offline for IM.
Managing messages and users
- Multiple instant messages from different parties will open in separate Dialogue Boxes. From within the dialogue box additional participants can be invited to the conversation by clicking the users button which will pop the Manage Users interface
Note: Only users that have unity open will be displayed in Manage Users.
Calling from the IM dialogue box
- Clicking the phone icon will make a call to the IM recipient
- Contacts are lists of frequently dialed numbers, conveniently stored for easy access.
- Add to the personal directory
- Right click anywhere in the main tab window and select Add Personal Contact.
- Complete the Add Phone List Entry when prompted and click OK to save.
- To remove an entry, right click it and select Remove.
- Contact search
- To search all directories enter a user name in the Contact Search text box. Unity will dynamically scroll results as the contact name is entered to display the best available match
- The Call Logs tab displays Missed, Received and Dialled Calls in chronological order.
- Double click any entry to make a call or right click to Add to Personal Directory.
- The Call logs tab will show the number of missed calls, if there are any.
- Adding call log entries to the personal directory
- Right click a Call Log entry. Click Add Personal Directory Entry and complete the Add Phone List Entry dialogue box. Click the green tick to save and close.
NOTE: These statuses will override any Spectrum Enterprise Anywhere or Remote office Settings. Please use with caution
- My Status performs two functions; providing a series of pre-set conditions to control and route inbound calls and alerting colleagues as to your availability.
- There are 6 settings,
For each of the first 4 Status settings, you can configure how the telephone is to perform in Settings
- Available – In Office..........Green icon in User Status
- Available – Out Of Office..........Green icon in User Status
- Busy..........Grey icon in User Status
- Unavailable..........Grey icon in User Status
- None..........Green icon in User Status
- Do Not Disturb..........Grey icon in User Status
- To toggle between the settings click on My Status in the main Unity window and select from the drop box
- When you are Available – Out Of The Office, Simultaneous Ring or Call Forward to your mobile can be activated
- When you are Available – In Office, unanswered calls can be sent to voicemail.
- When you are Busy, important calls can be forwarded to a colleague.
- In this way My Status lets you predetermine how calls are to be handled under different circumstances
Note: The My Status link is only displayed when the CommPilot Express service has been assigned to the user by the Service Provider. The Do No Disturb status is only available if the Do No Disturb service has been assigned to the user by the Service Provider. If the user has Do Not Disturb assigned but not CommPilot Express, the My Status link will not be available and the user will have to use the Settings window to turn this feature on and off.
Preferences & settings
- My services
- My Services provides access to the features assigned to the user. For more details, please see the corresponding Feature Pack Guide.
Options can be selected to
- Select applicable options
- Select where Unity will sit when minimized and to have Unity on top of all other windows.
- Perform Auto Answer when using click to dial
- Pop Unity -Unity will open when an inbound call is presented
- Auto Hide When Call Completes - Unity will minimise to the system tray when a call is disconnected
- Pop Summary Notification - When selected, the optional Summary Pop Up appears above the System Tray in the bottom right hand corner of the screen when a call is presented or made.
- When Call Details Clicked
- Pop Unity – Unity will open when clicked
- Pop Outlook
- Browse to URL – Enter information in Browser Integration section.
- Within the Settings & Preferences | Settings menu, it is possible to specify a URL in the Browser Integration Section.
- When the user receives an inbound call, the Summary Pop Up, window will appear above the system tray in the lower right hand corner of the screen [provided Pop Summary Notification is activated].
- By clicking the call detail information [the To/From detail] in the Summary Pop Up, the user answers the call and Unity will open the default browser and navigate to the specified URL from above, adding a parameter with the CLI of the calling number. This will enable the third party web application to “pop” the call. This is particularly useful in a help desk/call centre environment where an intranet based application is used.
- Quick Keys are keyboard shortcuts that perform preset actions. You can customise these shortcuts by mapping keys to functions from the drop box
- Unity is an auto updating application. To make sure you are always on the latest version ensure Auto Update Unity When Required is ticked
- This should be auto populated and should not be changed.
- If you are connecting through a Proxy Server enter your login credentials.
- The current Unity version will be displayed in Help | About
- If you have Auto Updates activated, Unity will update itself as newer versions become available.