When you initiate a chat, the communications window opens. Communicating with a contact is possible only when you are both online. If your contact initiates a chat, you see a pop-up notification in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. If you close the communications window and open it again, sent chat messages are shown in the window as chat history.
When the chat opens, you see the contact’s information at the top of the screen. If you want to use the whole area for writing, you can press the background of the information or the top bar. You can contract or expand the information of the contact during the chat and you can leave it open or closed depending on your preference.
At the top of the message area, there are four links: Yesterday, Last week, Last month, and All history. From these links, you can load history from your local storage and different time frames.
In the text field, you can add a smiley emoticon. Smiley emoticons can also be added by manually entering the corresponding characters that represent that particular emoticon. You can send text by pressing Enter.
- To enter a line break in the text field, you can use the following key commands:
- CTRL+ENTER (COMMAND+ENTER on MAC)
- Use either one of the short commands, CTRL+C or CTRL+V, or right-click the selection for a menu to copy or paste the text to or from the chat window.
There are two methods for sending files during a Chat Session.
- Method 1:
- Drag and drop the file into the communications window.
- Method 2:
- Select the Send File icon to browse for the file on your computer.
- Then, select Open to send the file. Once the file offer is issued and during its transfer, you can cancel the transfer (at any time) by selecting Cancel.
- The contact you are sending the file to will receive a pop-up notification asking to Accept or Decline the file.
- After the file transfer has completed, the received files can be opened and viewed in the file manager by using the Click to open and Show in folder links.
To share your desktop with another user, follow the steps below.
- While in the communications window, select the Start Sharing icon.
- Next, to start sharing your desktop select the Start Desktop Sharing button.
- The person who you are attempting to share with will receive a message to Click to Open Share.
- Once you are sharing, you can select the Pause Desktop Sharing button to pause what the viewer is seeing or the End Sharing button to end the desktop share, and at any point, you can select what you want to share (either the entire desktop or a specific application), or preview the content you are sharing.
Tips and Shortcuts
To hide or unhide the Chat view, click the Chat button in the communications window.
If you are using dual monitors, the client should share the primary monitor. If you have been sharing different monitors, make sure that you want to share the primary monitor.
You can check the primary monitor in the operating system settings. You can also remove desktop share participants. They are also removed from the group chat at the same time. If needed, the removed participants can join later.
- To initiate a group communications session, select the participants you would like to invite in your contact list. Select multiple participants by holding down the SHIFT key when clicking on the contact names. Then, drag-and-drop the participants into the communications window. More participants can be added later to the Group Communication by drag-and-drop. Only the owner can add more participants.
- A group communication works the same way as a one-to-one communication. All communications from any participant are sent to everyone else in the group. All participants need to be online to be able to participate in a group chat. You cannot invite an offline contact or a contact that is not on a device that supports group communications.
- Group communications can be moderated by the owner. Use the right-click menu options to remove a participant from your group communications window. If needed, the removed participant can join later.
- The group communications can be terminated by the owner by closing the group communications window.