What is Anywhere Connect Skype for Business?
The Spectrum Anywhere Connect Skype4Business (S4B) Windows desktop application is a powerful tool for the avid Office 365 user. It allows Microsoft Skype4Business users to make and receive telephone calls outside of their domain (i.e. external PSTN calls). It seamlessly runs side-by-side with Spectrum’s hosted/cloud business telephony along with Microsoft’s Skype4Business interface those users are familiar with. With this integration, it is important to note that Instant Messaging and Presence functionality (IM&P), contact information, desktop sharing and person-to-person video calls, will be disabled for Anywhere Connect S4B users, as the user will be using this functionality through the S4B application.
Anywhere Connect S4B enables a “Busy – In a Call” S4B status for users while on a call, plus Click-to-Dial functionality from S4B, Internet Explorer, and Outlook. Additionally, with S4B integration with Anywhere Connect, Anywhere Connect can intercept outbound S4B audio calls. The Anywhere Connect desktop client will intercept any S4B call, when the recipient is not available on S4B, and directly place a call to the recipient’s phone number.
Note: For more information about Anywhere Connect Desktop features and options, you can read the Anywhere Connect Desktop guides.
The Following are system requirements for Anywhere Connect Skype4Business Edition. The following are the supported Windows versions for the Desktop PC client: Edition:
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Note: The Skype4Business integration is available via the Windows desktop app (it is not available on MAC users).
The Skype for Client Windows PC clients supported are:
- Lync 2010 32-bit
- Lync 2013 Basic 32 and 64-bit
- Lync 2013 Standard 32 and 64-bit
- S4B 2015 32 and 64-bit
- S4B 2016 32 and 64-bit
Note: Windows administration rights (due to required registry entry) are required for installation of both Anywhere Connect (S4B Edition) and the Skype for Business Windows client. The supported S4B environment for Anywhere Connect (S4B Edition) is S4B Online (as offered as an O365 service). Skype for Business Server environments (stand-alone server facilitated by the customer outside of O365) is not supported.
Download and Installation
- You will go to https://learn.uc.spectrumenterprise.net/resources and select the download link for the Anywhere Connect - Skype Windows Client.
- Download the .exe file and follow the installation instructions.
Signing In and Signing Out
- Once downloaded, launch the shortcut on your computer.
- Enter your Username and Password. These credentials will be provided to you. If you do not have your credentials, please contact your Administrator.
- Check the Remember password check box to have the application remember your password on subsequent logins.
- If Remember password is selected, the Sign in automatically option will appear.
- Select this option if you would like the application to sign in automatically once you log on to your computer.
- Select Sign In.
- Once signed in, you will see the Main Window, and you will be ready to use the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app with your Microsoft Skype4Business interface. The configuration files should open the Anywhere Connect window and automatically minimize it into the user’s system tray. If you wish to interact directly with the Anywhere Connect client (to change their password, for example), you must click on the Anywhere Connect icon in the system tray or desktop to bring the application out to the desktop.
Please Note: All messaging, chatting, presence, contact information, and video calls will still be conducted through your Microsoft Skype4Business interface. All functions, other outbound calling and/or call through, are disabled in this version of the app.
- To Sign Out of the Anywhere Connect Desktop S4B app, go to File and Sign Out.
- If the computer is set to shut down or hibernate when left idle, the Anywhere Connect Skype4Business Edition and S4B integration will not occur. This condition should be avoided by not allowing desktop computers to shut down or hibernate when idle via appropriate control panel settings.
Please Note: If you simply close the Main Window, the app does not exit but rather is minimized to the system tray. This allows you to continue to place calls without having the window open on the desktop and task bar. Signing out of this app will NOT sign you out of your Microsoft Skype4Business interface.
Please Note: It is expected for the user to have Skype4Business fully operational and running to accommodate the successful integration of Anywhere Connect Skype4Business Edition. Spectrum Enterprise is not responsible for setting up and troubleshooting the user’s Microsoft’s environment (including Skype4Business), but will assist (to the extent possible) with guidance regarding any potential Skype4Business issues that may directly affect Anywhere Connect’s Skype4Business Edition intended usage/functionality (as specified in this document).
Placing Outbound Calls from Skype to another Skype Contact
Make sure you are signed into your Microsoft Skype4Business interface and the Anywhere Connect desktop S4B desktop app.
To place calls from your Microsoft Skype4Business interface to another Skype User:
- From the Contact’s view in Skype, hover over the Profile of the contact your wish to call.
- Select the Phone icon. A list of numbers saved for that contact will be displayed.
- If the contact has multiple numbers in their profile, select the number you wish to call. The call will be placed using the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app.
- You will notice the Presence status in your Microsoft Skype4Business interface will change to Busy (On a Call).
- To hang up, simply select the phone icon in the Anywhere Connect S4B Calling Window.
Placing Outbound Calls from Skype Dialer
To place an outbound call using the Skype keypad or Dialer to an outside number:
- Select the keypad icon from the Microsoft Skype for Business interface.
Enter the number. If placing an international call, select the plus sign (+) before the number. Please note: Depending on your calling permissions, you may or may not have international calling enabled.
- Select the Call button in the dialer. The call will be placed using the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app.
Please Note: When the HV call is initiated and is in progress, call control (such as hang-up, and HV touchtone commands) are facilitated via the Anywhere Connect Skype4Business Edition user interface (S4B and the S4B dialer will not have any functional usage for the duration of the call).
Placing Outbound Calls from Outlook
As a Microsoft Skype4Business User, you have the ability to place click-to-dial calls from your Outlook application. These include the Outlook Address Book, Group lists, and e-mail addresses. Highlighting any of these fields by hovering over the entry will pop up a dialog that allows you to place a call.
Please Note: This feature may not work with your version of Outlook. Please check the Microsoft Skype4Business documentation or support for further information as this is not a Spectrum Anywhere Connect S4B issue. Though there are several ways to click-to-dial calls from Outlook, here are 2 examples of how it can be used:
- To place a click to dial call from an Email, hover over the contact’s profile image. You will be presented with a call option.
- If the contact has multiple phone numbers associated with their stored contact card, select the number from the drop-down next to the phone icon.
- Select the number, and the call will be placed using the Anywhere Connect S4B app.
- You can also place a call from a Contact card in Outlook. Select the Contact card from your Contact’s in Outlook.
- Right click the phone number field in the card. You will see a Call option.
- Hover over the Call option and select the phone number of the contact you wish to call.
- The call will be placed using the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app.
Placing Outbound Calls from Internet Explorer
Outbound calls can be placed directly from Internet Explorer using Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app with Microsoft’s Skype4Business Internet Explorer plugin.
Please Note: You must ensure you have the proper Add-Ins enabled in your IE instance. From the IE settings, you must have these settings enabled in order for this feature to work.
Please note: If this feature isn’t available to you or it is not working properly, please check the Microsoft Skype4Business documentation or support for further information as this is not a Spectrum Anywhere Connect S4B issue.
- To place calls via a webpage from your Internet Explorer browser, visit the webpage. If the settings above are properly enabled, you will see a Skype icon next to the phone number(s) on the page.
- Click the Skype icon next to the phone number. The Microsoft Skype4Business Interface will pop-up with the phone number in the click-to dial field to confirm your call to this number.
- Click the number to call and the call will be place using the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app.
The following are some common troubleshooting items that may help if you are encountering difficulties with your Anywhere Connect S4B desktop App:
- Unable to Place Call – call attempt is made by Microsoft Skype4Business Interface rather than Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app.
- If the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app does not react at all when the call is attempted. The Microsoft Skype4Business interface may popup with a ‘Calling window’ as shown in the following example:
- This can happen due to:
Unable to Place Call – call attempt by Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app fails
- The Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app may not be running or you may not be logged into and conntected to the Specturm Hosted Voice network.
Check the System Tray for the Anywhere Connect S4B app. If not running, activate the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app by double-clicking its icon, log in if necessary, and re-attempt the call. It may be necessary to change the app settings so that the application is launched and logged in automatically at Windows startup.
The APIs may not be communicating. A reboot of the applications or PC may be required.
Ensure that the desktop app you are running is labeled “Anywhere Connected – Skype” and not the “Anywhere Connect” standard app that does not contain Skype for Business functionality.
Verify that Presence and Instant Messaging functionalities are disabled on your Anywhere Connect client. Otherwise, please contact your Administrator as this might suggest that you have not been setup properly for Skype for Business integration.
This can happen due to:
- In this case, the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app does activate and attempt the call, however the call does not complete. This can be verified by attempting to place the call via the Anywhere Connect desktop app call window rather than the Microsoft Skype4business interface.
Unable to Place Call – Contact Card does not show phone number
There may be a problem with the communication between Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app and the Spectrum Hosted Voice servers. Troubleshoot in the same manner as a standard Anywhere Connect S4B app problem.
- There may be a problem with the phone number as dialed or entered into the recipient’s contact card.
- Verify that the number dialed is entered in the correct format (adhering to Spectrum’s PSTN dialing scheme, including extension dialing)
- There may be a problem with the call path outbound from Spectrum’s Hosted Voice servers:
Attempt the call from an Anywhere Connect mobile app using VOIP (Softphone). If that call also fails, the Anywhere Connect Gateway, Hosted Voice network or PSTN is the cause of the trouble. Otherwise, the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app is the concern.
- Attempt the call from a physical Spectrum Hosted Voice desk phone within your office or site. If that call also fails, either Spectrum’s Hosted Voice service or PSTN is the cause of the trouble. Otherwise, the Anywhere Connect IP SEHV gateway is the concern.
- Attempt the call from a non-Spectrum network phone. If that call also fails, the trouble is with the (receiving party’s) PSTN. Otherwise, Spectrum Hosted Voice service is the cause of the trouble (confirm by placing a Spectrum Hosted voice call to a different party).
- In the Anywhere Connect S4B desktop app window, a contact selection may not show a telephone number for the selected contact. This is a Microsoft O365 / S4B matter, not an Anywhere Connect issue. It usually indicates a problem in your local address book, Enterprise or Office 365 address book; there may be no telephone number entry, or the entry may be excluded from Microsoft Skype4Business Interface by policy.
If you have trouble with your service and have followed all the troubleshooting instructions in the Troubleshooting section, call support at 866-603-3199 or if you are having trouble with your Microsoft Skype4Business Interface or Office 365 Skype integration, please visit Microsoft Office 365 support.